In this blog, we’re going back to basics with what marketing apprenticeships actually are. We’ll talk about various topics including what they are, who they’re for, and how to get started. So, without any more delay, here we go.
What is a marketing apprenticeship?
A marketing apprenticeship is a structured training programme where people gain practical experience and theoretical knowledge in the field of marketing. Apprentices work under the guidance of experienced professionals, learning various aspects of marketing such as market research, digital marketing, campaign development, and analytics. This hands-on approach allows apprentices to apply their skills in the real world while being mentored by an experienced coach. The goal is to develop a well-rounded understanding of marketing strategies and tactics, equipping apprentices with the know-how needed for a successful career in the dynamic and evolving realm of marketing.
Who are marking apprenticeships for?
Marketing apprenticeships are a great option for anyone. We typically see recent graduates, college and school leavers, and individuals seeking a career change starting marketing apprenticeships. Ideally, you’ll possess strong communication skills, creativity, and a keen interest in marketing. You’ll need to be open to learning, adaptable, and driven, and want to embrace hands-on experiences and to develop practical skills. You may have a relevant academic background or demonstrate a keen interest in digital marketing, branding, and market research. Marketing apprenticeships serve as a launching pad for these individuals, allowing them to gain industry-specific expertise and kickstart a successful career in marketing.
Who can do an apprenticeship?
Practically anybody can do an apprenticeship so long as you are:
- 16 years old or over;
- Live in the UK;
- And are not in full-time education.
How long do they last?
Marketing apprenticeships can range from anywhere from 13 – 36 months depending on which programme you enrol on. Currently, our level 3 and 4 programmes last between 13 – 18 months. However, something like a degree apprenticeship will last around 36 months.
How much do they cost?
Nothing. This is probably the best part about apprenticeships. They cost you as an apprentice, nothing, zilch, zero.
What’s involved in a marketing apprenticeship?
Lots of things to be honest. If you enrol on an apprenticeship with us, you’ll work while you learn and earn. You’ll be paid a full-time salary to take part in an apprenticeship. Whilst you work, you’ll take part in monthly training with us and one of our experienced Coaches. You’ll also get monthly 1-2-1 sessions for individualised support whilst studying toward a level 3 or 4 CIM. In addition to all of this, you’ll also have access to our virtual learning courses on all things marketing including, courses on digital and offline marketing, SEO, copywriting, email marketing, etc.
How much can I expect to earn?
Typically, this will range from £14,000+ for someone fresh out of college, around £20,000 for someone fresh out of university, and £22,000+ for those looking to retrain. These are also starting salaries and we see a lot of our apprentices getting pay raises and promotions during their propgrammes.
Where can an apprenticeship lead me?
Apprenticeships are a fantastic stepping stone into fruitful careers. Oftentimes, apprentices continue with their employers to carry on learning and developing within their roles. Sometimes, apprentices prefer to move on to other roles, sometimes they move into different areas of marketing such as design, copywriting, web design, etc. Essentially, it’s up to you.
What marketing apprenticeships are there?
There are a dozen or so programmes specifically within marketing. However, here at The Marketing Trainer, we currently offer:
- Multi-Channel Marketer – A great programme for people with little to no experience in marketing who are looking to learn about online and offline marketing;
- Marketing Executive – A slightly more advanced programme for those looking to continue their development in marketing;
- Market Research Executive – A niche programme designed for people looking to break into the market research sector.
What’s a CIM and why should I do one?
CIM stands for the Chartered Institute of Marketing, a professional organisation dedicated to advancing marketing practices. It provides education, training, and networking opportunities for marketers worldwide. Members of CIM gain access to resources and certifications that enhance their skills and contribute to their professional development in the field of marketing. On most of our programmes you’ll study toward a level 3 or 4 CIM. Effectively, you’ll get two qualifications instead of just one.
What are the benefits of doing a marketing apprenticeship?
- Hands-on Experience: Marketing apprenticeships provide practical, real-world experience, allowing individuals to apply theoretical knowledge in a professional setting;
- Mentorship: Apprentices work under experienced mentors who offer guidance, support, and insights, accelerating their learning and development in the field;
- Industry-Relevant Skills: Participants acquire a diverse set of marketing skills, from digital marketing to market research, making them well-equipped for various roles within the marketing industry;
- Networking Opportunities: Apprenticeships offer chances to build a professional network, connecting with industry experts, fellow apprentices, and potential employers;
- Career Advancement: Completing a marketing apprenticeship enhances employability, providing a solid foundation for a successful career in marketing and increasing the chances of securing permanent positions within the industry.
How do I enrol on a marketing apprenticeship?
That process is relatively straightforward. It goes something like this:
- Submit your details or apply for one of our roles;
- Talk to us about what you’re looking for or the role you applied for;
- We find employers and arrange potential interviews for you;
- You attend the interviews and fingers crossed, land yourself a job;
- We get some paperwork signed and you start your apprenticeship.
Interested in starting a marketing apprenticeship?
Simply fill in the form on this page and we’ll get in touch if you’re a good fit. We always try to get back to everyone but sometimes this can take a while so please bear with us. Just as a reminder, here are some of the benefits of doing an apprenticeship with us:
- Gaining practical hands-on marketing experience & skills;
- Getting a better perspective on where you want to go in life;
- Earning a salary while you study;
- You’ll have access to mentorship and guidance along the way;
- Apprenticeships lead to better career opportunities;
- Gain industry-recognised qualifications for free.